Professional vs DIY Security System Installation: Which is Better?
Each year, millions of homes and businesses fall victim to intrusions and burglaries–even right here in Myrtle Beach. To keep your family, belongings, and important assets safe you might find yourself researching which security system installation will offer you the most protection.
Choosing a security system comes down to two options: the do it yourself security systems and those that are professionally installed by security companies like Coggin Security.
Before you choose between a professionally installed security system or a DIY security system installation, you should know the pros and cons of each. DIY installation might sound tempting if your main concern is saving time and money, but how do these installations really stack up to those completed by professionals? We have broken down both options to help you make a well-informed decision.
DIY Security System Installation
Self-installed security systems are usually made up of a package that includes the basics of home security. This includes door monitors, motion detectors, and sometimes professional monitoring. However, it’s up to the home or business owner to install these systems themselves.
Pros of a DIY Security System:
- DIY security installations can be a good solution if the system is a simple camera or a couple of wireless sensors. Your biggest concern will be placing them in the right spots, at the correct angles and making sure all components of your system work as they should.
- DIY can save you money by not having to pay a professional technician to install your system.
- Good for temporary security solutions and wireless systems that do not require an integrated approach (i.e. you aren’t linking up many cameras and monitors).
Cons of DIY Security Systems:
- When installing a home security system by yourself, you do run the risk that the system is installed improperly. An improper installation could cost you in stolen or damaged property.
- Professional monitoring isn’t always included with a DIY system. This means that when your alarm sounds, it is your responsibility to contact the authorities.
- Get your toolbelt ready, as you will be doing all of the installations yourself.
- It’s up to you to understand how to use your new system. There’s no technician around to give you a hands-on tutorial about how to use your new security system.
Professionally Installed Security Systems
A professionally installed security system is more of an investment, but the return is invaluable: peace of mind and quality property protection.
The Pros of Professionally Installed Security Systems:
- A professional installation from a local company means you are guaranteed quality service and upkeep.
- Sit back and relax while local professionals pay close attention to the details that will help you get the most out of your security system. They’ll know the proper angles, placement, and how everything should stay connected to make sure your loved ones and property are always protected.
- A professional security company can create a custom plan to fit your personal needs–no matter how extensive.
- Coggin Security’s highly trained technicians are capable of installing the system that fits your family or business’ exact needs.
- Professional security installers offer 24/7 monitoring that signal emergency responders no matter what time of day or night your alarm is triggered to ensure your family, assets, and employees stay safe.
- Coggin Security’s technicians are ready to answer any questions you may have and teach you how to use your brand new system. You might not always get a hands on tutorial with a DIY system.
- If you choose a local company to install and service your security system, they will be the most up-to-date on security concerns for your area. Should you have problems or concerns, they will also serve as a nearby professional resource.
The Cons of a Professionally Installed Security System
- Professional security systems often come with installation fees.
- Time commitment can sometimes be troublesome for those with a busy schedule. However, Coggin Security is happy to work around your schedule and find a time that works best for you.
Your own reason for installing a home security system will help you decide which route is best for your situation. Whether you choose a DIY solution or a professional installation, it’s important to stay educated about the available options.